May 26 - 31, 2020
The current 2019 - 2020 concert season represents the Portland String Quartet's 51st season, and the 37th annual session of its Chamber Music workshop. Whether you are a returning workshop participant or an avid chamber musician seeking a new and wonderfully unique experience, you are in for a challenging and fun filled five days of music making. The Chamber Music by the Sea workshop experience features: daily coaching sessions with members of the PSQ, individual and group practice time, master classes led by the PSQ, a concert by the Portland String Quartet, and a concluding concert by you, the musicians.The Portland String Quartet has made its mark as a critically acclaimed, award-winning performing and educational ensemble. Whether you are an intermediate or advanced amateur, your performance will be elevated while at the workshop! Below are pdfs for applying (we have room for 8 groups, including string quintets, sextets, etc) and more information.
Self-evaluation form for new applicants
For more info please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why this workshop with the Portland String Quartet experience is so extraordinary:
• The PSQ offers 51 years of national and international performance experience and are passionate, skilled teachers.
• Learn effective team skills from the only string quartet extensively studied by the Harvard Business School as a model of teamwork.
• Ground breaking concerts and workshops in Venezuela with El Sistema
founder Dr. José Antonio Abreu and the Orquesta Juvenil Simón Bolívar.
• Roundly lauded for their recordings including the complete quartet cycles of Piston, Bloch and Chadwick. ‘Best Recording’ accolades from the New York Times and the Boston Globe.
• Named "Maine Treasures" and awarded honorary Doctorates by Colby
College in Waterville, Maine, where they served as Artists in Residence for 20 years.
• In 2013, awarded Chamber Music America’s Acclaim award “in recognition of outstanding service and cultural contributions to the community".
"As the spouse of a long-time participant in these workshops, I have observed from the 'outside' the musical progress that these dedicated amateurs make. The PSQ creates disciplined but congenial experiences on many levels. The mutually supportive atmosphere has led to long-term friendships and enthusiastic music-making." - Wade Ortel
Pre-formed ensembles and individuals are welcome to apply. If you have never attended the workshop and are applying as an individual, please complete the attached self-rating form. Participants will work in one ensemble for the entire session and may choose the literature that they will study, or request suggestions from The Portland String Quartet. Acceptance is limited to a total of eight ensembles so early application is recommended.
Location: Sebasco Harbor Resort
29 Kenyon Rd, Phippsburg, ME 04562
$550.00 per person
Lodging & all meals – including Maine tax:
Single rate: $1,071
Double rate: $760 (per room, per person - including cottage rooms)
Notifications of acceptance and a workshop schedule will be sent out upon approval by the Portland String Quartet. A non-refundable deposit for tuition and housing will be requested upon workshop acceptance - do not send payment at this time.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Dean Stein, PSQ Violinist and Workshop Coordinator